Parañaque City, the Philippines, 24 June 2017 — The morning of the Solemnity of the Nativity of John the Baptist saw the the ordination of 14 men to the sacred order of deacons through the laying on of hands of Bishop Teodoro Bacani, DD in the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians Parish.
“You come to us as presents, gifts… as servants.” Bishop Bacani addressed the ordinandi appreciating their presence before the altar as presents to the church, God’s people. He expressed the joy in welcoming the new deacons for they come as servants not masters. They come in humility.
The deacons took Mark 10:45 as their theme, “οὐκ διακονηθῆναι ἀλλὰ διακονῆσαι (not to be served but to serve).”
Of the fourteen, eleven are Salesians of Don Bosco from Indonesia, Korea, Myanmar, and the Philippines:
- Deacon Franciskus Borgias Adventus, SDB (ITM)
- Deacon Yulius Dadang Supriyanto, SDB (ITM)
- Deacon Jolino Da Costa Vieira, SDB (ITM)
- Deacon Lee Hyunjin Paul, SDB (KOR)
- Deacon Paschal Kyaw Min Htun, SDB (MYM)
- Deacon John Saw Shine Win, SDB (MYM)
- Deacon Andrea Maung Maung, SDB (MYM)
- Deacon John Te New Lian Za UK, SDB (MYM)
- Deacon Ryan Oliver D. Bautista, SDB (FIN)
- Deacon Keith J. Amodia, SDB (FIS)
- Deacon Vince Michael K. Sabal, SDB (FIS)
Joining them were two members of the Franciscans of Our Lady of the Poor and a seminarian from the Diocese of Monterey:
- Deacon Samuel Njuguna Njuguna, FLP
- Deacon Anthony Kwaku Boakye, FLP
- Deacon Karl P. Tolentino (Diocese of Monterey)
Bishop Bacani enjoined those present to pray for the new deacons. Recognizing the challenges of the times, he hoped for their perseverance and faithfulness in Christ as they continue their journey to priesthood.
Photos by Mark Asnan